Friday, August 18, 2017

High Frequency Words - Results

I have always had a word wall in my classroom however last year i felt that my students never used it or even recognized the words on the wall. This year I have worked on using the word wall effectively in order to recognise their high frequency words. At Sommerville we have our own list of high frequency words that we use to test the students on their word recognition.
As part of my inquiry i set out to implement different games that we played every day that would include all of the students with their different skills. Some students work on recalling the word and putting it under the correct letter and other students are using their chosen word in a sentence, finding words that rhyme or finding out how many syllables in the word. This way i can include all of my students in the same game.
Here are the results of using the word wall daily for two of my students who I have selected as part of my inquiry.
* Please note that Evan's results are not shown as he can already recall all words in word list 1-4.



2 comments:

  1. Very cool Lauren. I love the different strategies that you have employed. I am definitely going to try some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, these results are fabulous! You should be very proud of this. I strongly believe that a games approach to literacy has benefits of breaking down barriers to reading. It was so lovely to meet you at the Hui on Friday, thank you for coming to chat. I remember I have been on your blog earlier in the year and especially enjoyed reading your strategies to decoding. Our Inquiries are similar and we can learn a great deal from each other, and take collaborative approach. I would love you to come and visit, please email me at anita.unka@stonefields.school.nz and we can arrange a time to connect.

    ReplyDelete